The HSEC Manager is responsible for the implementation of the company’s Health, Safety, Security, Environmental Management, and Community Relations systems on site at the Bayan Khundii Gold Project, including supervision of the Project site-based HSEC team.
The role will work closely with ERD Corporate and Project Management teams to ensure activities at site adhere to the Project’s statutory and lender requirements for occupational health and safety, security, environmental management, and social performance.
Position: HSEC Manager
Status: Full time
Location: Bayan Khundii Project Site (Shinejinst soum, Bayankhongor aimag)
Health, Safety, and Security
- Oversight of occupational health, safety, and security activities and personnel at the Project site, in line with legal requirements and Project standards.
- Ensure HSS policies and procedures are fit-for-purpose for the Project.
- Provide guidance and training to HSS personnel.
- Responsibility for HSS data gathering and reporting at Project site.
- Develop and implement plans to improve HSS performance over time.
- Recommend and implement measures to correct any gaps, failures, and violations of applicable regulations or standards.
- Oversight of environmental management activities and personnel at Project site.
- Develop and implement plans to improve the Project’s environmental performance, including preparing statutory environmental plans and reports.
- Ensure company documents are aligned with the applicable environmental legislation.
- Represent the company with selected external parties, including government inspectors, on environmental protection issues.
- Assess and monitor the environmental impact of existing and planned construction and mining activities on Project site.
- Plan the rehabilitation and closure activities during the Project phases, in accordance with the laws, regulations, norms and standards.
- Implement measures to prevent, reduce, mitigate, or correct any environmental impacts, in accordance with applicable laws regulations, norms, and standards, reporting such measures to the supervisor and liaising with government inspectors, as necessary.
- Act as a designated representative of the company to local stakeholders at site, with support of Management.
- Monitor and analyze local socio-economic trends and report to management to identify opportunities for supporting the local community.
- Develop plans aimed at improving the relationship between the company and the local community, and implement according to Management approval.
- Implement the company approved grievance and stakeholder feedback system for the project
- Minimum of 7 years in a similar or applicable role with excellent references.
- Demonstrated project experience in mining or industrial construction and/or operations.
- Experience with a range of health, safety, environmental management, and community relations practices at a mine site preferred.
- Experience managing and coaching people.
- Minimum requirement of a Bachelor’s degree in a natural science, social science, engineering, or other relevant field.
- Knowledge of Mongolian legislative, regulatory, and standards related to HSEC and training requirements; Familiarity with EBRD/IFC standards preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Mongolian; Working proficiency in oral and written English required.
- Ability to act as a mentor to site personnel across multiple departments.
- Strong integrity and ability to accept responsibility.
- Strong inter-personal skills, with the ability to avoid and resolve conflict effectively.